Ciprofloxacin is among the most commonly prescribed antibiotics. Cipro toxicity includes symptoms such as anxiety, depression, fatigue, pain, weight loss, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, and disability.
Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic used for the treatment of bacterial infections. It belongs to the drug category fluoroquinolone. It is useful for skin infections, respiratory tract infections, stomach infections, urinary tract infections, typhoid fever, and many more.
Due to intense side effects, ciprofloxacin and other fluoroquinolones are used as a last option for therapy for infections like anthrax. Besides ciprofloxacin, fluoroquinolones antibiotics include ofloxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacin.
Cipro is the brand name for ciprofloxacin which is manufactured by Bayer. Ciprofloxacin has a mechanism of action to inhibit the enzymes that bacteria utilize for making their DNA. It stops bacterial growth replication.
Ciprofloxacin is not an over-the-counter medication which means you need a prescription from a physician to buy it. It is available in dosage forms like liquid, tablet, ointment, or extended-release tablet called Cipro XR.
Uses of Cipro
It is a high concentration antibiotic and should not be encouraged to use on mild infections. Before prescribing the physician must check if the person has an allergy to the constituent of the drug. Cipro can be used by adults and children but the extended-release form is only available for adults.
You can take the medicine with or without food but never consume it with milk, as it can cause nausea and vomiting. Cipro is unsafe for patients with diabetes, brain tumor, heart issues, kidney problems, aneurysms, and hypokalaemia.
What is Cipro Toxicity?
The unpleasant effects caused by the use of Cipro are known as Cipro toxicity. The extent of toxicity depends on the pre-existing condition of the patient. If a patient is suffering from any disease or has a Cipro allergy then he may suffer from severe toxicity.
Before learning about how to recover from Cipro side effects it is important to know about those side effects. Following are some of the Cipro toxicities which are caused by ciprofloxacin allergy
- Breathing difficulty-it occurs when the air passages swell due to ciprofloxacin allergy.
- Sore throat-when ciprofloxacin reaches the throat it causes sore throat, making it difficult to drink or swallow anything. This condition can become severe since ciprofloxacin can cause dehydration.
- Hives-Welts occur on the face. They are red or pink in color, causing itchiness, and pain.
- Severe skin reaction-apart from hives burning sensation on the skin, swelling of face, redness on the skin, itching, or pain to the skin.
Following are some of the side-effects that are caused due to pre-existing medical conditions
- Numbness-it happens when the patient is already suffering from nerve-related medical conditions
- Muscle weakness
- Confusion and hallucination are common in anxiety and panic disorder patience
- Increased heart rate headache and dizziness-it happen when the patient is already suffering from heart and blood sugar conditions.
- Joint swelling pain in joints and popping sound in joints-when patient suffers from bone abnormality.
Some other less common side effects include
- Shortness of breath
- Problem during urination
- Stomach pain
- Joint pain
- Internal bleeding may lead to death.
Tips to recover from Cipro side effects
To save yourself from any toxicity from ciprofloxacin you should mention to your physician if you are taking any medication other than Cipro. However, even after taking precautions if you suffer from ciprofloxacin toxicity and wondering about how to recover from Cipro side effects then try out the following tips
- Remain active
Being active accelerates the excretion of drug constituents. So the more active you will be the quicker you will get rid of ciprofloxacin metabolites. Being active also helps in the prevention of headaches and nausea.
- Don’t take other medicines
Don’t take any other medicine along with ciprofloxacin to avoid drug interaction. For example, if you take ciprofloxacin with aspirin or other antidepressant drugs it will cause dizziness. Before starting Cipro doses you should stop using any other antibiotic.
- Hydrate yourself
It is important to keep yourself hydrated especially when you’re taking antibiotics. Drinking lots of water accelerates the removal of drug constituents from your body. The earlier medicine is removed from the body the quicker you can get rid of side effects. Hydration also prevents headaches.
- Use warm and cold compresses
For a stomachache and headache, you can use a warm compress to relax your muscles. While cold compress is much helpful for joint pain.
- Eat ginger
You can make yourself ginger mint tea which controls nausea since it is an amazing remedy for motion sickness.
Even after trying out all the remedies if you still do not feel better. If you think your symptoms are getting worse consult a doctor as soon as possible.